Pages

27/06/2010

I think sports hate me

I started playing tennis when I was 4 years old and my mother finally agreed to let me stop when I turned 14. I can hear you thinking, "my, she must be pretty good ". Er, no. Not really. I think I disliked it instantly. Not tennis per se, but the whole running everywhere after a ball, going there every Wednesday when I could have been at home playing or annoying my sisters, you know, kids stuff. But she insisted, just like she didn't allow me to quit playing the piano, which I studied for 10 years, also. And , er, no I can't play the piano, by the way. I'd really like to learn again now, doing what I want and not just classical pieces. I'd learn jazz and I'd be able to play by ear -something which I was able to do really early on, but was never allowed to pursue because of 'discipline'.



Anyway, back to tennis. I was deeply in love with my tennis teacher. I mean, he was clearly the love of my life and I was heartbroken and devastated when he said he really liked me but wouldn't marry me. Age difference, he said, was an issue. What a jerk. How can you break a 4 year-old heart like that? I was OK, I guess, never was able to serve well and they called me 'the dancer'.

Yeah, cause I was dancing, too. Classical, again. wearing tutus, looking absolutely ridiculous, go on, you can laugh. I think I still have a picture, I'll scan it and show it to you, I swear, but only when I know how to plug my scanner on the computer, so you might have to wait for a few decades.

I started dancing at 4 years old -I was busy at that age, now that I think about it, and I liked it. Sort of. I didn't like being yelled at by our tyrannical teacher, I positively hated that I was supposed to listen and do what I was told, and it turns out I still have trouble with that, today. But I liked the music, the shows. I'm a showgirl. I took theatre lessons, I sing, I was part of a theatre company doing shows for kids, well, it's my thing.

I stopped taking dancing lessons when I was 10ish. Our evil teacher kept telling me that my boobs were starting to show and that it wasn't good, I think my parents freaked out a little. Yes, they started showing at that age, and although I love them dearly now (yes, I do, I love my breasts, I've hated them for so long that I owe them that, at the very least) I was mortified.
They didn't help me with tennis, either, or any kind of sports. Even now, I still can't bring myself to start running because I know for a fact that they won't behave. Also, those sports bra are ugly and I don't trust them enough :my breasts have a strong personality.

I basically stopped everything that was related to exercise early on. All those tennis years made my knees crappy and I just don't like it. I like running when I'm in a hurry, or sometimes when I'm really mad, I'll just go outside, walk and then start to run and I'll feel good. I paid a lot of money to go to a gym's club, went once and never went back. It's just not me.

Last year, I bought the Wiifit, decided that it would be good, that my boobs could act freely, that I didn't care if I looked fat because no one else was there. I did it twice a week for two months and I felt good. My body looked a little better, I was repeating to myself 'look at you, you're healthy now, this is good' but I couldn't bring myself to go on.

I'd like to start swimming, after all, I do live about 50 meters away from the swimming pool, but I'm not going, ever, except with my kids because a) I think I look horrible in a bathing suit and b) I only like pools when they're perfectly clean, preferably on hotel rooftops.

So, take me to a hotel, say, the Meridien Picadilly in London (they have a great pool, it's not on the rooftop but I like that hotel a lot) and I'll go swimming. Oh, while you're at it, will you order champagne? That's more like it. That's more like me. I will never be that healthy girl with a poney tail (what is it with girls who exercise ALWAYS putting their hair like that, seriously?) and wearing sports outfit or, God forbid, running shoes.

Oh, one last thing. If you liked this post, would you mind terribly clicking on the RSS feed, here, or the Google connect buttons (top left), or by email at the bottom of this page? And if you didn't like it, you might still want to look around. There's three of us, you know, so you're (almost) bound to find something you like. And then, if you've still got time, you could share this post or stumble it, or both and get in touch with your local tv station to sing our praises. We'll love you forever.

1 comment:

Julie Sardinetin said...

This really made me laugh - I can relate to it all. I don't think there is a single sport I haven't tried but failed miserably at (tennis, squash, football, hockey, modern dance, ballet, skiing, running...). I was always the kid that got picked last for any team games at school. I have now come to terms with the inevitability that sports and I do not mix. However, my husband is determined to find me something that we can do together. His latest great idea? Golf. Hilarious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails